Delicious, simple, and an exotic dessert option
Tuffah in Arabic means apple from which the name for tufahije comes from. The recipe for preparing this treat is well known across the countries ruled by the Ottoman Empire.
If you are in Sarajevo, Bosnia, do not miss the opportunity to try tuffahije. However, even if you’re not planning any trips to that part of Europe, you can still make a relatively simple, homemade version. It’s an oriental treat, and you will enjoy it, because it’s different from all the treats you ever tried.
For the preparation of tufahije, tart apples are commonly used for this recipe. You can use Granny Smith or apples with similar tartness.
An essential part of the recipe is making vanilla sugar syrup in which the apples we cook the apples. Almonds, hazelnuts, or combinations thereof, are used in addition to walnuts.
Ten smaller apples
500 g of sugar
500 ml of water
150 g ground nuts
Freshly squeezed lemon juice
Sweet whipped cream
50 ml of milk
A bag of vanilla sugar
Four tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Peel the apples, keeping them whole.
2. Reserve the peels of 2 apples.
3. With the help of a peeler, core the apple
4. Be sure to remove all the seeds without drilling on the other side.
5. The cooking of the apples and syrup
6. In a pot, pour the water, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and apple peels.
7. Bring to a boil over high heat.
8. Stir regularly.
9. Lower the heat to medium and add the apples.
10. Boil the apples for 5 to 7 minutes on both sides.
11. Make sure not to overcook, or the apples will not stay firm.
12. Remove from heat.
13. Using a skimmer, considerately remove the apples from the pot and place them on a tray to allow them to cool.
14. Reserve the syrup.
1. In a large bowl, cover the walnuts with warm milk and let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Melt the butter over medium heat, add the sugar and mix well.
3. Add this preparation to the walnut mixture and mix well for 2 minutes.
4. Fill each apple with about three teaspoons of filling.
5. Pour the syrup over and place it in the refrigerator.
1. Beat the whipped cream until it gets stiff.
2. Decorate the top of the stuffed apples with whipped cream.
3. Gently put a walnut kernel on it without pressing on the cream.
4. Serve immediately.
To complete the recipe just fill the prepared apples with the filling and top the filling area with the whipped cream topping. Voila!