The delicious pound cake you love with yogurt, olive oil, and more to make it a little better for you.
- Nonstick baking spray for coating loaf pan
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plain lowfat 2-percent Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup lowfat 1-percent milk
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
Turn the oven up to 350. While it’s heating up, use the baking spray to coat an 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, add the sugar and lemon zest. With your fingers, rub the lemon zest into the sugar. Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk vigorously until it’s well blended.
Pour the flour mixture into the egg mixture and fold it together until it’s incorporated. Transfer the combined mixture to the loaf pan you prepped.
Bake that thing for about 50 minutes. You’re ready to go when you can stick a toothpick in and pull it out clean. Let the cake cool in its pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then take it out of the pan and let it unmold and cool to room temperature.